Saturday, February 12, 2011

Pioneer Woman's Three Cheese Stuffed Shells

The other night for dinner I made this recipe from the Pioneer Woman. You can find her version here. I switched it up a little bit, because let's face it, I am no pioneer woman and my cooking expertise are not what hers are! I took this along with my chocolate chip pound cake to home group and all of us girls loved it.

What I Used:
1/2 pound of lean hamburger meat (PW used Italian Sausage)
8 oz of Jumbo stuffed shells
28 oz. can of Crushed Tomatoes
15 oz. can of Tomato Sauce (PW uses all crushed tomatoes)
1 Small onion, chopped
30 oz of Ricotta Cheese (I used part skim)
8 oz. of Parmesan Cheese (I cheated here and bought the already grated kind)
1/2 cup of Italian Cheese (PW uses all Romano)
2 tablespoons of EVOO
2 tablespoons of sugar
1/2 Cup of Red Wine
1 egg
Basil, Parsley, and Minced Garlic (Now here is where I really cheated. :) I just threw a little of each in where it called for it from my spice rack. PW actually used garlic cloves she chopped and Basil leaves) 
1.  Chop Onion
2. Add Oil to large sauce pan and heat on medium heat
3. Add onion, minced garlic, and then meat, brown. 
4. Add Crushed Tomatoes, Tomato Sauce, Sugar, Salt, and Pepper. Bring to a boil and then turn to low and simmer for about 30-45 minutes covered. Stirring Occasionally. 
 5. Cook shells half way, drain, run some cool water over them, and let them sit until ready to be stuffed.
6. Prepare cheese mixture. Place one egg in medium bowl. 
 7. Add in the ricotta cheese, Italian or romano cheese, half of the parmesan cheese, the parsley, and basil.
8. Mix together well and then stuff into shells. 
9. Fill the bottom of a casserole dish with a layer of the sauce before placing shells in the dish. Once the shells are stuffed and in the casserole dish, cover with the rest of the sauce and then sprinkle the remaining parmesan cheese on top. 
Cook for about 25 minutes on 350.

2 comments: